Recipe of the Month
Recipe of the Month – Sweet Potato Casserole
If you want to make a Small Casserole:
3 to 4 Sweet potatoes
1/3 cup butter
¼ cup brown sugar (or more)
If you want to make a Large Casserole:
7 to 8 sweet potatoes
½ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar (or more)
1. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes
2. In a big pot with water put cut sweet potatoes in
3. Boil sweet potatoes until soft and you can squish them
4. Once the sweet potatoes are done boiling drain the water out of the pot
5. With a hand mixer or a potato smasher start smashing the potatoes in the pot (less dirty dishes)
6. Add in the brown sugar and butter if you are using a hand mixer this makes it easier to mix all the ingredients together. If you used a potato smasher you will have to either use a spoon or something else to mix the ingredients together.
7. Once all ingredients are mixed together, put in a baking pan of your choice small or large. If you want marshmallows, place the marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes and put the baking pan in the oven at 300 degrees until marshmallows are slightly browned.
Comments from the Cook – Heather McCoy
I love sweet potatoes, I ended up making this for Thanksgiving. I now plan on making it year-round especially because sweet potatoes are less calories than regular potatoes. My daughters, Carla & Phoebe, also love sweet potatoes and scarfed them down at Thanksgiving. When I made this, I did a small pan of sweet potatoes and used 1/3 cup of butter and I used a ¼ cup of brown sugar with a little extra. I just wish I put extra brown sugar in it.